High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) in Hampton Roads:
Interstate 264 – Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Interstate 64 – Chesapeake / Hampton / Newport News
Interstate 564 – Norfolk
Occupancy: During HOV restricted hours, travelers must be HOV-2+ (two or more people in the vehicle). *Note*: Travelers who do not meet the HOV-2+ requirement during the posted HOV restricted hours will be subject to enforcement from the Virginia State Police.
Type: The far left lanes of I-264 and I-64 are open to HOV-2+ riders only during peak travel periods Monday through Friday. The restricted lanes are clearly marked with a diamond and signage prior to entry. Outside of HOV-2+ enforcement hours, the lanes remain open to all motorists.
Hours: HOV-2+ enforcement will be in effect:
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday between the Rosemont Road (Exit 18) and City Hall Avenue (Exit 10) in Norfolk
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between City Hall Avenue (Exit 10) and Rosemont Road (Exit 18)
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday -Friday starting before Battlefield Boulevard (Exit 290) in Chesapeake and ending between Indian River Road (Exit 286) and the I-264 interchange in Norfolk at mile marker 285
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday starting past the I-264 interchange in Norfolk and ending past Battlefield Boulevard (Exit 290) in Chesapeake
- Eastbound and westbound 6 - 8 a.m. and 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between the I-664 interchange in Hampton (Exit 264) and Jefferson Avenue in Newport News (Exit 255)
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday between the I-64 interchange and the runway tunnel
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between the runway tunnel and the I-64 interchange
64 Express Lanes (New) – Norfolk
- The 64 Express Lanes are on 8.4 miles of I-64 between the I-264 interchange and I-564 in Norfolk. Tolling is in effect westbound 5 - 9 a.m. and eastbound 2 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday.
During operating hours, solo drivers may choose to use E-ZPass to pay a variable toll for use of the lanes, and HOV-2+ riders may travel free with an E-ZPass Flex transponder switched to “HOV ON.”
All solo drivers and HOV-2+ riders wishing to use the 64 Express Lanes during operating hours must have a funded and properly mounted E-ZPass transponder in their vehicles.
Outside operating hours, the lanes are free and open to all motorists with no E-ZPass or HOV requirements.
There are times when these lanes are closed due to maintenance and closures are note on the Hampton Roads weekly lane closure report. The schedule for the I-64 Express Lanes Reversible Roadway in Norfolk is as follows:
12:01 a.m. - 5 a.m. Open Westbound to All
5 - 9 a.m. Open Westbound HOV-2 & Express Lanes
9 – 11 a.m. Open Westbound to All
11 – 11:30 a.m. Closed to All
11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Open Eastbound to All
2 – 6 p.m. Open Eastbound HOV-2 & Express Lanes
6- 11 p.m. Open Eastbound to All
11- 11:30 p.m. Closed to All (remains open Eastbound to All on Fridays)
11:30 p.m. to midnight Open Westbound to All Monday to Thursday; Open Eastbound to All on Fridays
12:01 a.m. to midnight Open Eastbound to All
12:01 a.m. to 11 a.m. Open Eastbound to All
11:00 – 11:30 a.m. Closed to All
11:30 a.m. – midnight Open Westbound to All
For more about the 64 Express Lanes, visit www.64ExpressLanes.org.