In Design: Vienna Metro Station Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements in Fairfax County
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
This project will construct bicycle and pedestrian improvements in the area of the Vienna Metro station along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the ramp to westbound I-66, and along Sutton Road between Blake Lane and Country Creek Road.
The long-term improvements include:
- Constructing shared-use paths along Blake Lane and Sutton Road from the I-66 bridge to Country Creek Road
- Adding a two-way cycle track with adjacent sidewalk along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard from Sutton Road to the Metro North Parking Lot entrance
- Implementing a road diet along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard from Sutton Road to the Metro North Parking Lot entrance
- Realigning the I-66 westbound ramp to Country Creek Road
- Modifying the traffic signals at the intersections of Sutton Road and Blake Lane, Country Creek Road and the ramp from westbound I-66, and Country Creek Road and Vaden Drive.
- Installing new pavement markings and signs
Construction for the long-term improvements is expected to begin in summer 2024.
VDOT and Fairfax County plan to make the following short-term improvements:
- Creating a separated two-way cycle track on eastbound Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the Metro North Parking Lot entrance by restriping and installing flex posts or concrete barriers
- Making interim bicycle and pedestrian enhancements along Sutton Road between Blake Lane and Country Creek Road
Construction for the short-term improvements is expected to begin in fall 2022.
Preliminary Engineering - $1 million
Right of Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation - $2 million
Construction - $6.3 million
Total - $9.2 million
These costs are subject to change as the project is further developed. The project is financed with federal, state and Fairfax County funding.
The project aims to improve bicyclist and pedestrian safety, accessibility and connectivity to the Vienna Metro station.
Virtual Public Information Meeting - March 2021
Virtual Design Public Hearing - Late Fall 2021
Begin Right of Way Acquisition - Spring 2022
Begin Short-Term Improvements Construction - Fall 2022
Begin Long-Term Improvements Construction - Summer 2024
Location & Design
Andrew Beacher, P.E.
Other relevant links:
Programmatic Categorical Exclusion - Jan. 2021
Major funding source: Federal
Phase: In Design
State ID: EN18-029-423, P101, R201, C501
Federal ID: TAP-5A01 (964)
Lat/Long: 38.877698, -77.271813