VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 9, 2022
Traffic Pattern Change at Nutley Street/I-66 Interchange Starting on or about March 14
Drivers from Nutley Street South will use temporary ramp to reach I-66 West; Extended weekend closure of ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street South March 11-14 to implement changes
UPDATE (3/10/2022): Due to forecasted inclement weather March 11-12, this work is being rescheduled to next weekend, March 18-21.
FAIRFAX – Travel lanes on Nutley Street will shift and the ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 West will be closed as part of work planned for this weekend, March 11-14, for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Drivers heading from Nutley Street South to I-66 West will proceed about 500 feet farther past the current ramp to turn right at a traffic signal onto a temporary ramp to access the interstate. This detour will remain in place for approximately three weeks.
The northbound and southbound Nutley Street travel lanes will be shifted to the east, with two travel lanes in each direction running on the northbound side of the bridge over I-66. Pedestrians will also be detoured to the east side of the bridge. This temporary traffic pattern will allow construction of the new Nutley Street Interchange and shared-use path tunnel to advance while keeping Nutley Street open to vehicles and pedestrians. This shift will remain in place through June 2022 and is part of multiple traffic pattern changes planned along Nutley Street during 2022.
Work is weather dependent, with March 18-21 as a backup date. Drivers should expect the following new traffic patterns:
Nutley Street North and South over I-66
- Throughout the weekend of March 11-14 the northbound and southbound travel lanes of Nutley Street will be shifted in phases to the east side of the bridge over I-66. Northbound and southbound traffic will each have two travel lanes.
- Pedestrian access over I-66 will be shifted to the east side of Nutley Street between Virginia Center Boulevard/Marshall Road and Saintsbury Drive/Swanee Lane.
Ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 West
- The ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 West will close during the evening hours Sunday, March 13.
- Southbound Nutley Street traffic heading to I-66 West will continue about 500 feet past the current ramp (farther south) to turn right at a traffic signal and use a temporary access ramp to access the interstate. This detour will be in place for about three weeks, then will be replaced by a different detour.
- Northbound Nutley Street traffic heading to I-66 West will continue to use the loop ramp on the right side of the roadway.
Lane and ramp closure details to implement the traffic pattern change include:
Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street South
- The ramp will be closed beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, March 11, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, March 14, for crews to implement a traffic shift.
- Traffic will be directed farther west to the exit to Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Station, stay to the right onto Country Creek Road, continue onto Virginia Center Boulevard, then at the Nutley Street traffic signal turn right to head south.
- The ramp will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Nutley Street North between the I-66 East ramp and Virginia Center Boulevard
- One lane will be closed beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, March 11, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, March 14, for crews to implement a traffic shift.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Ramp from Nutley Street North to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed Friday night, March 11, and Saturday night, March 12, from midnight to 4 a.m. for crews to implement a traffic shift.
- Traffic will be directed to continue north, stay to the left and make a U-turn from the left-most left turn lane at the traffic signal at Virginia Center Boulevard onto Nutley Street South, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Drivers should be alert for changing traffic patterns on Nutley Street near I-66 as construction continues through 2022. Drivers are reminded to slow down and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs at all times.
When construction is complete, the new Nutley Street Interchange will feature two roundabouts, which will provide safer, more efficient travel for vehicles entering and exiting I-66, and improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians traveling on Nutley Street.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.