VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 8, 2022
Overnight Full Closure of I-66 West in Centreville for Route 28 Bridge Beam Installation Planned Next Week, April 11-15
Detours will be posted for I-66 and associated ramp closures
FAIRFAX – I-66 West will close at Route 28 nightly April 11-15 to allow for installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66. During the overnight closures, traffic will be rerouted via Route 28 North, Westfields Boulevard, and Route 28 South to return to I-66 West. The Route 28 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 West during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Monday, April 11, through Friday, April 15
I-66 West at Route 28
- One lane will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly.
- Between 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each night, all westbound lanes will be closed at Route 28.
- All traffic will be directed to exit to Route 28 North, continue north to the Westfields Boulevard West exit, stay to the right to Route 28 South, then follow signs to I-66 West. Drivers traveling to Route 28 South will follow the same detour route.
- The ramp to Braddock Road/Walney Road from I-66 West will remain open.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m.
Route 28 South at I-66
- The left lane will be closed nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 28 Interchange is being reconstructed to improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
All lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 28 will be closed during the overnight hours Monday, April 11, through Friday, April 15, for installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66. All traffic will be detoured around the closure via Route 28 North.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.