VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 14, 2022
Overnight Full Closure Of I-66 East in Centreville Next Week, April 20-23, for Continued Bridge Beam Installation at the I-66/Route 28 Interchange
Traffic detoured via Route 28 North; Overnight lane closures on I-66 West at Route 28 also planned during the same period
FAIRFAX – I-66 East will be closed nightly April 20-23 to allow for continued installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66 and for new access ramps to the future eastbound Express Lanes. Two lanes will also be closed nightly on I-66 West at Route 28 for this work. The Route 28 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers on I-66 East will be detoured to Route 28 North, exit to Westfields Boulevard West, stay right to Route 28 South and then follow signs to return to I-66 East.
Drivers traveling on I-66 East and West these nights should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Wednesday, April 20, through Saturday, April 23
I-66 East at Route 28
- Three lanes will be closed Wednesday and Thursday nights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Between 10:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. (10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday) all eastbound lanes will be closed at Route 28.
- All traffic will be directed to exit to Route 28 North, travel to the Westfields Boulevard West exit, stay to the right to Route 28 South, then follow signs to I-66 East.
- The ramp from Route 28 North to I-66 East will remain open.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. weekdays (by 6 a.m. weekends).
I-66 West at Route 28
- Two lanes will be closed from 9:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 28 Interchange is being reconstructed to improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
All lanes of I-66 East approaching Route 28 will be closed during the overnight hours Wednesday, April 20, through Saturday, April 23, for installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66. All traffic will be detoured around the closure via Route 28 North.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.