VDOT News - Northern Virginia
May 12, 2022
Overnight Closure of Braddock Road/Walney Road over Route 28 Planned May 14
Ramps from I-66 West and Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road will also be closed; Detour will be in place
FAIRFAX – Braddock Road and Walney Road between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive will be closed during the overnight hours Saturday, May 14, for crews to adjust striping on Braddock Road and Walney Road. The ramps from I-66 West and Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road will be closed, as will the ramps from Braddock Road/Walney Road to Route 28 South and I-66 West. The work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled to Sunday, May 15, and Monday, May 16, should inclement conditions occur.
Saturday, May 14
Braddock Road and Walney Road between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive
- Braddock Road and Walney Road will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers will be directed to Westfields Boulevard to reach Route 28 South, I-66 West, and points on the other side of Route 28.
Ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road/Walney Road
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers will be directed to stay to the right and continue on the ramp to Route 28 North and travel to the exit to Westfields Boulevard. Drivers heading to Braddock Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard West and continue to Braddock Road. Drivers traveling to Walney Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard East, and then turn right onto Walney Road.
Ramp from Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night.
- Traffic will be directed to continue farther north on Route 28 to the Westfields Boulevard Interchange. Drivers traveling to Braddock Road will take the exit to Westfields Boulevard West, then continue west to Braddock Road. Drivers heading to Walney Road will take the exit to Westfields Boulevard East, then turn right onto Walney Road.
Drivers should use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs when traveling in this area.
The new Route 28/I-66 Interchange will improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.