VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Ellen Kamilakis 703-638-2595
Jan. 19, 2022
Northern Virginia: Wintry Weather to Impact Thursday AM Commute
Residents asked to monitor forecasts, watch for icy spots
FAIRFAX - VDOT Northern Virginia crews will be mobilizing overnight Wednesday into Thursday for a forecasted combination of rain and snow. The timing of the storm shows an impact to the Thursday morning commute.
Residents are asked to monitor forecasts, plan ahead to avoid nonessential travel during winter weather, and to be aware of the potential for icy spots as temperatures fall below freezing.
What's Happening Now
- See the Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service for precipitation from Wednesday evening through Thursday afternoon. The forecast includes periods of rain and accumulating snow, as well as increased winds. Please continue to monitor forecasts closely as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Crews will mobilize overnight to treat state-maintained roads. Please drive with caution around plow trucks as they are heavy and move slowly.
- Temperatures are expected to drop below freezing, causing potential icy conditions. Treat anything that looks wet as if it could be icy, especially bridges, ramps, overpasses and elevated surfaces. If there is snow or ice on roadways, travel is hazardous.
Reminders for Residents and Drivers:
- Keep an emergency winter weather kit in your vehicle which includes food, water, first aid materials, tools and blankets in the event of a breakdown or stoppage.
- Wind gusts will possibly bring down trees, branches, and power lines. Tree removal crews will be deployed to remove trees from the roadway.
- To report downed trees or other debris in the road, residents can contact the Customer Service Center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov.
- Monitor road conditions on www.511virginia.org or the free mobile app, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- Follow @vadotnova and @NWS_BaltWash for real-time updates!
- Learn more about snow removal by visiting virginiadot.org/snow and viewing Northern Virginia District's fact sheet.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.