VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 2, 2022
Demolition of Old I-66 Bridges at Stringfellow Road to Continue This Weekend, February 4-7, During Daytime and Overnight Hours
Stringfellow Road North reduced to one lane; ramps to I-66 East/from I-66 West to be closed
REMINDER AND UPDATE (2/3/2022): Lane closures on Stringfellow Road have been extended, with northbound Stringfellow Road reduced to one lane travel lane approaching I-66 from 10:30 p.m. Friday, February 4, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, February 7.
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old I-66 bridge abutments adjacent to Stringfellow Road North will continue this weekend, February 4-7, during the daytime and overnight hours. The I-66 ramps to and from Stringfellow Road will be closed throughout the weekend beginning at 10:30 p.m. Friday, February 4, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, February 7, as part of this work. Stringfellow Road North under I-66 will also be reduced to a single travel lane during the overnight hours during this period. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and consider using alternate routes.
What Neighbors Should Expect:
- The old I-66 bridge abutments and retaining walls adjacent to Stringfellow Road North will be demolished during both the daytime and overnight hours beginning Friday night, February 4, through Monday morning, February 7.
- Demolition of the old bridge abutments and retaining walls involves breaking up concrete using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Work is anticipated to require 10-12 nights of demolition activity to complete.
- All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
- Information about traffic impacts and demolition progress will be posted on transform66.org/stringfellow.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Friday, February 4, through Monday, February 7
Ramp from I-66 West to Stringfellow Road
Ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East
- The ramps will be closed beginning at 10:30 p.m. on Friday, February 4, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, February 7, for demolition of the old I-66 bridge abutments and retaining wall.
- The ramps will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday morning.
Stringfellow Road North and South between Fair Lakes Boulevard and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Stringfellow Road North will be reduced to a single travel approaching the I-66 overpass Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., and Sunday night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 8 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and by 5 a.m. Monday.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive project updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.