VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 7, 2022
Demolition of old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 to Resume Next Week, January 9-16
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is planned to resume next week with demolition of the old bridge deck over I-66 East during the overnight hours Sunday, January 9, through Sunday, January 16. The Gallows Road Bridge is being replaced as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Up-to-date information and lane closures related to this work can be found at the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Gallows Road page.
What’s ahead for this Weekend and Next Week:
- Beginning Sunday night, January 9, crews will demolish the portion of the old concrete bridge deck over I-66 East using jack hammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Following demolition of the concrete deck, the old bridge beams over I-66 East will be removed during the overnight hours.
- Portions of the bridge directly over I-66 will be demolished during the overnight hours (typically between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.), when multiple lanes can be closed on I-66 to safely accommodate this work.
- All work is weather dependent and schedules may shift if inclement conditions occur.
- For updates on demolition progress visit transform66.org/gallowsroad.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Sunday, January 9, through Sunday, January 16
I-66 East from Cedar Lane to Gallows Road
- Three lanes will be closed nightly Sunday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Friday and Saturday from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes nightly Sunday through Thursday between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m., and Friday and Saturday between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. weekdays, and by 7 a.m. weekends.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Crews have completed removal of the portion of the old bridge over I-66 West and the Dunn Loring Metrorail Station, including the old bridge piers and bridge abutment along I-66 West.
The Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.