VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Kathleen Leonard, VDOT
Amy Friedenberger, DRPT
Karen Finucan Clarkson, VRE
Erica Hawksworth, NVTA
Mathew Friedman, NVTC
April 11, 2022
Commonwealth Transportation Board Invites Public Feedback on Transportation Projects, Initiatives
Public encouraged to provide input on projects that are recommended for funding
Please note: The Northern Virginia District meeting listed below will also serve as the annual joint meeting of the Commonwealth Transportation Board, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, Office of Intermodal Planning and Investment, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, Northern Virginia Transportation Commission and Virginia Railway Express. The open house will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by a listening and public comment session at 7 p.m., view the ad.
RICHMOND, Va. – The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) will host nine meetings across Virginia and is inviting the public to share feedback on transportation initiatives and projects that have been recommended for funding, including highway, road, bridge, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, public transportation, and transportation demand management projects. Members of the community may participate by attending public meetings or submitting comments online, by email, or by mail.
The public meetings are scheduled in each of the locations at 4 p.m. except as noted below:
Monday, April 25
2300 Washington Avenue
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
Tuesday, April 26
1601 Orange Road
Culpeper, Virginia 22701
Thursday, April 28
Monday, May 2
Tuesday, May 3
712 Church Street
Wednesday, May 4
*Northern Virginia District
Potomac Conference Room
4975 Alliance Drive
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
*meeting begins at 5:30 p.m.
Monday, May 9
Hampton Roads District
Suffolk, Virginia 23435
Wednesday, May 11
One Partnership Circle
Abingdon, Virginia 24210
Thursday, May 12
3315 Ordway Drive NW
Roanoke, Virginia 24017
*The Northern Virginia District meeting will serve as the required joint public meeting with the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, the Virginia Railway Express, and the CTB per § 33.2-214.3 of the Code of Virginia.
The public will have an opportunity to learn and share feedback about:
- The Draft Fiscal Year (FY) 2023-2028 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP), which allocates public funds to highway, road, bridge, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, public transportation, and transportation demand management projects, identifies projects proposed for inclusion in the final program and will be considered by the CTB at its June meeting. All federally eligible projects in the SYIP will be included in the federally required Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) to document how Virginia will obligate its federal funds. The Draft FY 2023-2028 SYIP includes projects recommended for funding in the following programs:
- State of Good Repair, a program that provides funding for deteriorated pavements and structurally deficient bridges owned or maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) or localities.
- Innovation and Technology Transportation Fund, a program that funds initiatives pertaining to high-tech infrastructure improvements.
- Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside, provides funding for a variety of generally smaller-scale transportation projects such as pedestrian and bicycle facilities; construction of turnouts, overlooks, and viewing areas; community improvements such as historic preservation and vegetation management; environmental mitigation related to stormwater and habitat connectivity; recreational trails; safe routes to school projects; and vulnerable road user safety assessments.`
- Revenue Sharing, a program that is a dollar-for-dollar, cash match funding program available to counties, cities, or towns to construct, improve, or maintain primary, secondary, or urban roadways, with statutory limitations on the amount of state funds authorized per locality.
- Bridge Formula, a new program in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act for replacing rehabilitating, preserving, protecting, and constructing bridges on public roads.
- Comments will also be accepted for projects valued at more than $25 million.
- Six-Year Improvement Program
You can also submit your comments via online form, email, or mail by May 23, 2022:
- For roads and highways: Six-YearProgram@VDOT.Virginia.gov or Infrastructure Investment Director, Virginia Department of Transportation, 1401 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219.
- For transit and rail: DRPTPR@drpt.virginia.gov or Public Information Office, Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, 600 East Main Street, Suite 2102, Richmond, VA 23219.
The Commonwealth is committed to ensuring that no person is excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of its services on the basis of race, color or national origin, as protected by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need further information on these policies or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, please contact the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Title VI Compliance Officer at 804-786-2730 or the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation’s Title VI Compliance Officer at 804-786-4440 (TTY users call 711).
For additional information about the CTB, visit ctb.virginia.gov/.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.