VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Kathleen Leonard 703-638-9115
Mike Murphy 703-638-8547
May 11, 2021
Virtual Information Meeting May 17 for Frontier Drive Extension
Participate and give input online; learn more at virginiadot.org/FrontierDrive
SPRINGFIELD – The Virginia Department of Transportation will hold a virtual public information meeting Monday, May 17 on plans to extend Frontier Drive (Route 2677) from its southern terminus at Franconia-Springfield Parkway (Route 289) to Loisdale Road (Route 789). The project aims to relieve congestion and improve access to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station, the Springfield Mall and Town Center area, the General Services Administration (GSA) complex, the Northern Virginia Community College Medical Education Campus, and the new Transportation Security Administration (TSA) building on Springfield Center Drive.
Preliminary design plans include:
- A four-lane divided roadway (combination of new construction and improvements to existing Springfield Center Drive) with a shared-use path on one side and sidewalk on the other
- New braided ramps at the Frontier Drive/Franconia-Springfield Parkway interchange
- A new intersection at Metro Access Road with Frontier Drive
- Reconfigured sections of the Metro station circulatory road and access to parking garage entrances, all existing access points will be maintained
Within the project limits, Frontier Drive averages 33,000 vehicles a day and Franconia-Springfield Parkway averages up to 53,000.
The preliminary engineering phase is currently funded by Fairfax County and the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority; additional funding opportunities will be pursued as they become available.
In lieu of an in-person hearing, VDOT invites residents and travelers to learn more, participate in the virtual meeting and give feedback in the following ways through Thursday, May 27:
- Attend the Monday, May 17 online Register at virginiadot.org/FrontierDrive or to participate without registering in listen-only mode, call 866-901-6455 (use access code 216-373-268). The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 p.m. and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation.
- Provide comments via the online survey or by email to email@example.com.
- Mail comments to Mr. Zamir Mirza, Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
In case an alternate date is needed, the meeting will be held Wednesday, May 19.
Once the meeting is complete, the recorded presentation and project materials will be available online at virginiadot.org/FrontierDrive.
VDOT ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact VDOT Civil Rights at 703-259-1775.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.