VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
June 4, 2021
Stringfellow Road Closed at I-66 During Overnight Hours Next Week, June 10-11, for Overhead Bridge Work
FAIRFAX – Northbound and southbound Stringfellow Road approaching I-66 will close nightly Thursday, June 10, and Friday, June 11, to allow for continued installation of bridge beams for a new I-66 East bridge over Stringfellow Road as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Drivers traveling on Stringfellow Road will be directed to a detour route and should allow extra time.
The Stringfellow Road ramps to I-66 East/from I-66 West will also be closed during this time.
Thursday, June 10, and Friday, June 11 (Back-up night is Saturday, June 12)
Stringfellow Road North and South between I-66 and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed Thursday from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., and Friday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- On the north side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Fair Lakes Boulevard, turn right on to Fair Lakes Parkway, travel about one mile and turn right on to the ramp to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) South, follow signs to Route 29 (Lee Highway) South, and travel about two miles on Route 29 South to reach the intersection with Stringfellow Road. Vehicles can then turn left for southbound Stringfellow Road or turn right to return toward I-66.
- On the south side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Route 29 North, travel north on Route 29 for two miles, then follow signs to Route 286 North. Drivers will then exit at Fair Lakes Parkway/Monument Drive and stay to the left to turn left at the traffic signal on to Fair Lakes Parkway, turn left on to Fair Lakes Boulevard, and then turn right on to Stringfellow Road to head north.
- All lanes will reopen on Friday by 6 a.m., and on Saturday by 7 a.m.
Ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed Thursday from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., and Friday from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.