VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 8, 2021
Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) Bridge Demolition to Continue Next Week, January 11-15, with Overnight Lane Closures on I-66
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) North bridge over I-66 is scheduled to continue next week during overnight hours, Monday, January 11, through Friday, January 15, nightly. Demolition of the old bridge will overlap with utility work scheduled for next week on the new Route 123 bridge over I-66 and requires overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What's Ahead for the Week of January 11:
- Nighttime demolition of the Route 123 bridge over I-66 East travel lanes is scheduled to begin Monday, January 11.
- Demolition work will continue during the overnight hours through the week with removal of the concrete bridge deck for each span, followed by removal of the bridge girders.
- Portions of the bridge over I-66 must be demolished during nighttime hours when multiple lanes of I-66 can be closed for safety.
- Demolition of the old Route 123 bridges over I-66 is anticipated to take approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
- Additional details on planned bridge demolition are available here.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Monday, January 11, through Friday, January 15
I-66 East and West between Jermantown Road and Blake Lane
- A single lane will close at 9 p.m.
- Three lanes will close by 11 p.m. for overhead utility work and bridge demolition at Route 123.
- All lanes will open by 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
A new northbound Route 123 bridge over I-66 opened to traffic on December 30, 2020. Southbound Route 123 traffic will shift to the new bridge in coming weeks as well, which will be followed by demolition of the old Route 123 South bridge.
Demolition progress and updates will be posted regularly to the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’sRoute 123 webpage and sent to the project email list (sign up here to receive). The Route 123 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and west and construct a new shared-use path.
Demolition of wall and bridge deck has begun on the old Route 123 North bridge. (1/8/21)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.