VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 27, 2021
Overnight Lane Closures, Stoppages on I-495 South at I-66 Planned September 1 for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project
Ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South closed, detour route provided
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures and traffic stoppages on I-495 South approaching I-66 are scheduled to occur Wednesday, September 1, for crews to implement a traffic shift. The ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South will also be closed. The ramp from I-66 West to the 495 Express Lanes South will remain open. Work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and should consider using alternate routes.
Wednesday, September 1
I-495 South at I-66
- Southbound I-495 approaching I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes during the overnight hours.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be directed to continue farther west to Nutley Street, stay to the left to Nutley Street South and turn left at the traffic signal to I-66 East, then follow signs to I-495 South.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.