VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Oct. 22, 2021
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 East and West in Oakton Area Continue Saturday, October 23, and Next Week, October 25-29, for Overhead Bridge Work at Jermantown Road
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures and traffic stoppages on I-66 East and West approaching Jermantown Road in Oakton will continue Saturday, October 23, and Monday, October 25, through Friday, October 29, for installation of bridge beams for the widening of Jermantown Road over I-66. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and should consider using alternate routes.
Saturday, October 23
I-66 East from Waples Mill Road to Jermantown Road
- I-66 East will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching Jermantown Road with traffic diverted onto the old eastbound lanes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 9 a.m.
Jermantown Road at I-66
- Jermantown Road will be reduced to a single travel lane with flaggers alternating northbound and southbound traffic over I-66 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Monday, October 25, through Friday, October 29
I-66 West from Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) to Jermantown Road
- Two lanes will be closed on westbound I-66 approaching Jermantown Road Monday and Wednesday from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday nights, I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching Jermantown Road from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly with periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes to be expected between 11 p.m. and 4:30 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (9 a.m. Saturday).
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Jermantown Road Bridge over I-66 is being rebuilt to accommodate the widening of I-66. The new bridge will include a bike lane and sidewalk in each direction with nearby connection to the new shared-use path being built along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.