VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 16, 2021
Overnight Lane Closures and Stoppages on I-66 West and I-495 South Continue Next Week, April 19-23, for Overhead Bridge Work at the I-66/I-495 Interchange
FAIRFAX – Lane closures and 20-minute traffic stoppages on westbound I-66 West at I-495 will continue nightly next week, Monday, April 19, through Friday, April 23, so bridge beam installation and partial bridge demolition can progress at the I-66/I-495 Interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Multiple lanes on southbound I-495 approaching I-66 also will be closed during this time.
Drivers traveling on I-66 and I-495 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Monday, April 19, through Friday, April 23
I-66 West at I-495
- I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching I-495 nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (to 6 a.m. Saturday).
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes each night.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (by 6 a.m. Saturday).
I-495 South from Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) to I-66
- Two lanes on southbound I-495 approaching I-66 will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (to 8 a.m. Saturday).
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (by 8 a.m. Saturday).
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between the express and general purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.