VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Dec. 9, 2021
Overnight Lane and Ramp Closures on I-66 West at Route 28 in Centreville This Weekend, December 11-12, and Next Week for Route 28 Bridge Demolition
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South to close nightly; detours will be posted
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old Route 28 South bridge abutments will require lane and ramp closures on I-66 West this weekend, December 11-12, and throughout the week of December 13-18. Planned traffic impacts include nightly closures of the ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South and two travel lanes on I-66 West.
Drivers traveling on I-66 West these nights should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
What Neighbors Should Expect:
- Demolition the old Route 28 bridge abutments will begin during the overnight hours Saturday, December 11.
- Due to the proximity of the abutments to the roadway, much of the work will take place during the overnight hours (typically between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.) when multiple travel lanes on I-66 can be closed for the safety of workers and the traveling public.
- Demolition of the abutments is anticipated to take approximately eight nights of work to complete, depending upon weather and other factors, and involves breaking up concrete using jackhammers and hoe rams.
- For updates on demolition progress visit transform66.org/route28.
What Drivers Should Expect This Weekend and Next Week:
Saturday, December 11, through Saturday, December 18
I-66 West at Route 28
- Two lanes will be closed Sunday through Thursday nights from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. weekdays (by 9 a.m. weekends).
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South
- The ramp will be closed Sunday through Thursday nights from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., and Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to Route 29 (Lee Highway) Centreville, stay to the left and turn left at the traffic signal onto Route 29 North, then follow signs to Route 28 South.
- The ramp will reopen by 4 a.m. weekdays (by 6 a.m. weekends).
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 28 Interchange is being reconstructed to improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.