VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
May 3, 2021
Overnight Full Closure of I-66 East and West at Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) Planned This Weekend, May 7-8, for Bridge Beam Installation
FAIRFAX – All lanes of I-66 East and West approaching Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) are scheduled to be closed during the overnight hours May 7-8 to allow for installation of bridge beams for the new Route 123 South Bridge over I-66 as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. I-66 traffic will be detoured around the closure using the ramps at the Route 123 Interchange. Route 123 will remain open during these operations, but drivers should expect possible delays crossing over I-66. Police will be on scene to direct traffic.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Friday, May 7, and Saturday, May 8:
I-66 East and West at Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road)
- I-66 East and West travel lanes will be closed at Route 123 from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night.
- All eastbound I-66 drivers will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 123. At the traffic signal, follow police direction to continue across Route 123 to the ramp back to I-66 East.
- All westbound I-66 drivers will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 123. At the traffic signal, follow police direction to continue across Route 123 to the ramp back to I-66 West.
- Route 123 North and South will remain open with police direction.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 123 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The new interchange will include Express Lanes access, shared-use path, and room for future mass transit in the median of I-66.
Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive project updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.