VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Dec. 6, 2021
Overnight Closures of I-495 South Planned Tonight, December 6, and Tomorrow Night, December 7, for Continued Bridge Beam Installation at I-66/I-495 Interchange
FAIRFAX – A full closure of I-495 South (Capital Beltway Outer Loop) at I-66 is planned during the overnight hours tonight, Monday, December 6, and tomorrow night, Tuesday, December 7, for continued bridge beam installation at the I-66/I-495 Interchange. Traffic will be detoured around the closure via I-66 West and Nutley Street. The 495 Express Lanes South will also be closed, as will the ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South and several 495 Express Lanes ramps.
Drivers traveling on I-66 and I-495 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes. Message boards across the region will direct drivers on I-95 and I-495 to use alternate routes those nights.
Crews are installing beams for a new flyover ramp from I-495 North to I-66 West as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
All work is weather dependent. Wednesday, December 8, and Thursday, December 9, will be used as backup nights if inclement conditions occur.
Monday, December 6, and Tuesday, December 7 (Wednesday, December 8, and Thursday, December 9, as necessary)
I-495 South approaching I-66
- Two lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- All lanes of I-495 South (Outer Loop) will be closed from midnight to 4 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be directed to exit to I-66 West, travel to the exit to Nutley Street, stay to the left to Nutley Street South and turn left at the traffic signal onto southbound Nutley Street, stay to the right to the loop ramp to I-66 East, then follow signs to I-495 South.
Ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be directed to continue farther west to Nutley Street, stay to the left to Nutley Street South and turn left at the traffic signal onto southbound Nutley Street, stay to the right to the loop ramp to I-66 East, then follow signs to I-495 South.
495 Express Lanes South from the entrance to the express lanes (about one mile prior to Route 267 (Dulles Toll Road)) to I-66
Ramp from the 495 Express Lanes South to I-66 West
Ramp from I-66 East to the 495 Express Lanes South
Ramp from I-66 West to the 495 Express Lanes South
- The Express Lanes will be reduced to one lane from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- The ramps will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- Overhead variable message boards will direct traffic to alternate routes.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.