VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 31, 2021
Overnight Bridge Demolition Continues at I-66/Route 50 Interchange This Week (September 1-2) with Overnight Closure of Ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East
Work will be rescheduled if inclement weather occurs
UPDATE (9/2/2021): This work has been postponed. Demolition is planned to resume the nights of September 7-11.
FAIRFAX – Demolition activities continue this week at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange with removal of the old Route 50 West bridge deck over the ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East. The ramp will be closed during the overnight hours Wednesday, September 1, and Thursday, September 2, so that crews can perform the work. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling in the area should expect delays and consider using alternate routes. This work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66 was completed on July 16.
- Demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge over I-66 was completed on August 13.
What’s Ahead This Week:
- Crews will begin demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over the ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East with removal of the concrete bridge deck using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams, followed by removal of steel bridge beams.
- Demolition work will occur during the overnight hours when over travel lanes.
- For updates on demolition progress, visit transform66.org/route50
What Drivers Should Expect:
Ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East
Wednesday night, September 1, and Thursday night, September 2
- The ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East will be closed from midnight to 4 a.m. both nights.
- Traffic will be directed to continue farther east on Route 50, stay to the left and use the left-most left turn lane to make a U-turn at the traffic signal at Waples Mill Road, then stay to the right and follow signs to I-66 East.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.