VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 3, 2021
Overhead Bridge Work at I-66/I-495 Interchange Continues Next Week, September 7-10
Ramps from I-495 South to I-66 West and from I-66 West to I-495 South will be closed; Overnight lane closures, stoppages on I-495 South
FAIRFAX – Nightly lane closures will reduce southbound I-495 approaching I-66 to two travel lanes with multiple 20-minute traffic stoppages planned Tuesday, September 7, through Friday, September 10, as bridge beam installation continues at the interchange. The ramps from I-495 South to I-66 West, and from I-66 West to I-495 South will also need to be closed in conjunction with this work, which is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 and I-495 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Tuesday, September 7, through Friday, September 10
I-495 South approaching I-66
- Two lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes during the overnight hours.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West
- Beginning around 9 p.m. nightly, one of two lanes on the ramp will be closed.
- Between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. nightly, there will be a full closure of the ramp.
- Traffic will be detoured farther south to the exit to Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard) East, stay to the right to Fairview Park, take the left fork to Fairview Park North, bear left at the traffic signal and stay to the right following signs to I-495 North and I-66, then follow signs to I-66 West. All lanes will open by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to the exit to Nutley Street, stay to the left and make a left turn at the traffic signal onto Nutley Street South, stay to the left to turn left at the next traffic signal to I-66 East, then follow signs to I-495 South. (The ramp from I-66 West to the 495 Express Lanes South will remain accessible.)
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.