VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 13, 2021
New Route 50 East Bridge over I-66 Scheduled to Open on or about Saturday, July 17
FAIRFAX – Traffic on eastbound Route 50 will be shifted to a new bridge over I-66 during the early morning hours of Saturday, July 17. This new, permanent bridge is located slightly east of the current bridge, which will be demolished following the traffic shift. The Route 50 Interchange is being redesigned as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
To implement the traffic shift onto the new bridge, eastbound Route 50 approaching I-66 will be closed during overnight hours Friday night, July 16, from midnight to 6 a.m. The ramps from Route 50 East to I-66 East and from I-66 West to Route 50 East will also be closed during this period.
Demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge over I-66 is planned to begin on or about Sunday, July 18, to allow construction of new ramps and the widening of I-66. Bridge demolition will occur during daytime hours, when possible. Demolition over I-66 travel lanes will be completed during nighttime hours when multiple lanes can be closed.
Demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66 is anticipated to finish this week. The new Route 50 West bridge opened to traffic on June 27.
What drivers can expect:
Ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East
- Around 11:30 p.m. Friday, July 16, the ramp from eastbound Route 50 to I-66 East will be closed for crews to tie the ramp into the new alignment of Route 50 East.
- Drivers will be directed farther east, stay to the left and use the left-most left turn lane to make a U-turn at the traffic signal at Waples Mill Road, then stay to the right and follow signs to I-66 East.
- The ramp will reopen by 6 a.m. Saturday, July 17, shortly after the opening of the new bridge.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- Around 11:30 p.m., Friday, July 16, the ramp from westbound I-66 to Route 50 East will be closed for crews to tie the ramp into the new alignment of Route 50 East.
- Drivers will be detoured farther west to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) South, stay to the right to I-66 East, then follow signs to Route 50 East. The ramp will reopen by 6 a.m. Saturday, July 17, shortly after the opening of the new bridge.
Route 50 East between Fair Oaks Mall and I-66
- Beginning around midnight Friday night, July 16, eastbound Route 50 approaching I-66 will be closed.
- Drivers will be detoured to I-66 West, exit to Fairfax County Parkway South, stay to the right to I-66 East, and then follow signs to Route 50 East.
- The ramps from Route 50 East to I-66 East and from I-66 West to Route 50 East will remain closed during this period. (See detours above.)
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. Saturday, July 17, and will be shifted onto the new bridge.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Drivers traveling through the Route 50 and I-66 Interchange should be alert for changing traffic patterns and are reminded to slow down and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs. Construction-related detours and traffic pattern changes will continue through 2022.
The future reconstructed Route 50 and I-66 Interchange will provide direct express lanes access to and from the east. The new I-66 corridor shared-use path will traverse the interchange, connecting Random Hills Park and Fairfax Corner to the west and Fairfax Farms Road and Oakton to the east.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.