VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 19, 2021
I-66 West Lane Closures Friday Night, March 26, for Work on New Gallows Road Bridge
Gallows Road over I-66 reduced to two lanes during overnight hours
FAIRFAX – I-66 West approaching Gallows Road will be reduced to a single lane Friday night, March 26, for crews to pour the second half of the concrete bridge deck for the new Gallows Road Bridge over I-66. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
In conjunction with this closure, Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction during the overnight hours Friday, March 26. Northbound Gallows Road will be closed with two-way traffic running in the southbound lanes.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Friday, March 26
I-66 West from I-495 to Gallows Road
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Gallows Road between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 9 a.m.
Ramp from 495 Express Lanes North to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured to I-66 East, take the exit for Route 7 (Leesburg Pike), stay to the left and turn left at the light, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Gallows Road over I-66
- Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction between 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. Northbound Gallows Road will be closed with two-way traffic running in the southbound lanes during these hours.
- All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Gallows Road over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road. Bike lanes and wider sidewalks are also being added along Gallows Road.
Message boards on Gallows Road and I-66 will provide advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates will be available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.