VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 22, 2021
Full Closure of I-66 West at Route 50 in Fairfax Planned Next Week for Continued Overhead Bridge Work at I-66/Route 50 Interchange
Multiple ramp closures, detours will be in place
FAIRFAX – All lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 50 will close nightly next week, January 24-27, to allow for continued installation of bridge beams for the new Route 50 East Bridge over I-66. Multiple I-66 West ramps to/from Route 50 will also be closed. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Sunday, January 24, through Wednesday, January 27
I-66 West at Route 50
- I-66 West will be closed at Route 50 from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All westbound I-66 traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, stay to the right for Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m.
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp from westbound Route 50 to I-66 West will be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right for Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- The ramp from I-66 West to eastbound Route 50 will be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, then stay to the right for Route 50 East.
Route 50 East from West Ox Road to I-66 (planned for Sunday night only)
- Route 50 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes on eastbound Route 50 between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lane access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.