VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 2, 2021
Bridge Demolition Continues at I-66/Route 50 Interchange; Full Closure of I-66 West at Route 50 Planned During Overnight Hours July 6-10
Multiple ramp closures, detours will be in place
FAIRFAX – All lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 50 will close nightly, July 6-10, to allow for continued demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66. The I-66 West ramps to/from Route 50 will also be closed. Traffic will be detoured using Route 50 and Route 608 (West Ox Road). The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Construction Progress During Week of June 27:
- The new Route 50 West bridge over I-66 opened to traffic on Sunday, June 27.
- Demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66 began on Tuesday, July 29; demolition of the first of four spans of the bridge is complete.
What’s Ahead the Week of July 6:
- Beginning the night of July 6, crews will resume demolition of the old bridge span over I-66 West using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Work will progress southward toward the spans over I-66 East.
- Portions of the old bridge that are over I-66 must be demolished during nighttime hours when travel lanes can be closed.
- For updates on demolition progress, visit transform66.org/route50
- Eastbound Route 50 traffic will be shifted to the new Route 50 East bridge over I-66 in the coming weeks, with demolition of the old eastbound bridge to follow.
- Demolition of the old Route 50 East and West Bridges over I-66 is anticipated to take approximately 25 nights of work to complete, depending on weather and other factors.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Tuesday, July 6, through Saturday, July 10
I-66 West at Route 50
- All I-66 West travel lanes will be closed at Route 50 nightly from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All westbound I-66 traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp from westbound Route 50 to I-66 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- The ramp from I-66 West to eastbound Route 50 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- Traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, then stay to the right to Route 50 East.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.