VDOT News - Northern Virginia
July 23, 2020
Westbound Route 7 Lane Shifts, Traffic Changes and Clearing in Great Falls Begin July 28
Between Utterback Store Road and Reston Avenue
GREAT FALLS - Starting on or about Tuesday, July 28, drivers on westbound Route 7 and some adjacent side streets will experience lane shifts and traffic pattern changes between Utterback Store Road and Reston Avenue. Work activities will take place during the daytime and overnight hours.
Starting on or about Monday, Aug. 3, crews will begin clearing and grubbing during the daytime hours between Utterback Store Road and Reston Avenue in the VDOT right of way and where rights have been acquired.
All residences, businesses and other public facilities will remain accessible. Please see the descriptions and maps below for details.
- Westbound Route 7 lanes will shift to the south (towards the median) between Utterback Store Road and Reston Avenue.
Northfalls Court and Shain Court - July 28 to Aug. 12
- The existing entrance from westbound Route 7 to Shain Court will close temporarily.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 to Northfalls Court and Shain Court will use a temporary ramp just east of Northfalls Court.
- Drivers exiting Northfalls Court and Shain Court to westbound Route 7 will proceed west on a temporary access road, and enter westbound Route 7 west of Shain Court.
Northfalls Court and Shain Court - Aug. 12 to Late 2020
- The existing entrance from westbound Route 7 to Northfalls Court will close permanently.
- Drivers to and from Northfalls Court and Shain Court will use a new temporary entrance just west of the existing Shain Court entrance to enter and exit those streets.
- Drivers to and from Northfalls Court will continue to use the new temporary access road between westbound Route 7 and Northfalls Court.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change.
For information on intersection movements at the completion of construction, please see the interactive map on the project website.
Please note crews are only working within the VDOT right of way and where rights have been acquired from property owners (read more).
As a reminder, the Route 7 speed limit has been reduced to 45 miles per hour in active work zones between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive, and Virginia law prohibits the use of handheld cell phones while driving through an active work zone.
Please use caution and be alert to work zone signs, potential flagger or police direction, and watch for traffic shifts. Slow-moving vehicles and equipment may be entering or exiting the road.
Thanks for Giving Our Crews S P A C E
As work continues along Route 7, our crews are practicing social distancing. If you have questions or concerns about the construction, please give them the space they need to work, and call or email us instead of approaching the work site.
You can get Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project updates weekly by visiting the project website.
Sign Up for Route 7 Traffic Alerts on Virginia 511
Get alerts about work zones, accidents and other incidents via web, phone, text message or email. Visit 511virginia.org to create and configure your account.
Expected lane closures and other traffic pattern changes associated with the Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project are also posted each week at connectroute7.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.