VDOT News - Northern Virginia
July 27, 2020
Route 7 Lane Shifts and Traffic Changes in Vienna Begin Aug. 3
Between Towlston Road and Lewinsville Road
VIENNA - Starting the week of Aug. 3, drivers on Route 7 will experience lane shifts as well as temporary and permanent traffic pattern changes between Towlston Road and Lewinsville Road.
All residences, businesses, places of worship, and other public facilities will remain accessible. Please see maps and descriptions below for details.
Eastbound Route 7 - Aug. 3
- Lanes will shift to the south (away from the median) between Towlston Road and Lewinsville Road.
Westbound Route 7 - Aug. 10
- Lanes will shift to the south (towards the median) between Lewinsville Road and Towlston Road.
Starting the week of Aug. 3, the following access changes to side streets will begin:
- Route 7 median closed permanently.
- Drivers on Trap Road to westbound Route 7 will follow Trap Road to Towlston Road to access westbound Route 7.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 will proceed to Towlston Road and turn left on Towlston Road to access Trap Road.
- Temporarily closed at Route 7. Drivers to Dreamweaver Court will use Royal Estates Drive and a temporary access road until 2021.
Royal Estates Drive
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 may turn right onto Royal Estates Drive to access Dreamweaver Court and Royal Estates Drive; however, the right-turn lane will be temporarily eliminated until 2023.
Bethel Washington Primitive Baptist Church
- Route 7 median temporarily closed. Church entrance converts temporarily to right-in/right-out only.
- Drivers from the church to westbound Route 7 will use eastbound Route 7, turn right onto the service road immediately east of McLean Bible Church, proceed westbound on the service road, and turn left onto westbound Route 7 at the Lewinsville Road traffic signal. This traffic pattern will be in effect until the Lewinsville Road intersection reconfiguration is complete (scheduled for late 2022). See maps below for details.
- Drivers from westbound Route 7 to the church will proceed to Towlston Road and U-turn. Left-turn access from westbound Route 7 to the church will be restored in 2023.
Wolftrap Run Road
- No left-turn from Wolftrap Run Road to westbound Route 7 (permanent restriction). Drivers will use eastbound Route 7, turn right onto the service road immediately east of McLean Bible Church, proceed westbound on the service road, and turn left onto westbound Route 7 at the Lewinsville Road traffic signal. This traffic pattern will be in effect until the Lewinsville Road intersection reconfiguration is complete (scheduled for late 2022).
- No U-turn from eastbound Route 7 to westbound Route 7 at Wolftrap Run Road.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 may still turn left onto Wolftrap Run Road.
Fairfax Connector Bus Stop 2672 on westbound Route 7 west of Lewinsville Road
- Closed until July 2021.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change.
For information on intersection movements at the completion of construction, please see the interactive map on the project website.
Please note crews are only working within the VDOT right of way and where rights have been acquired from property owners (read more).
As a reminder, the Route 7 speed limit has been reduced to 45 miles per hour in active work zones between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive, and Virginia law prohibits the use of handheld cell phones while driving through an active work zone.
Please use caution and be alert to work zone signs, potential flagger or police direction, and watch for traffic shifts. Slow-moving vehicles and equipment may be entering or exiting the road.
Thanks for Giving Our Crews S P A C E
As work continues along Route 7, our crews are practicing social distancing. If you have questions or concerns about the construction, please give them the space they need to work, and call or email us instead of approaching the work site.
You can get Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project updates weekly by visiting the project website.
Sign Up for Route 7 Traffic Alerts on Virginia 511
Get alerts about work zones, accidents and other incidents via web, phone, text message or email. Visit 511virginia.org to create and configure your account.
Expected lane closures and other traffic pattern changes associated with the Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project are also posted each week at connectroute7.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.