VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Dec. 31, 2020
Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) Bridge Demolition to Begin Next Week with Overnight Lane Closures on I-66
Bridge demolition expected to take approximately 8 to 12 weeks
UPDATE (1/6/21): Bridge demolition during daytime hours is scheduled to begin Thursday, January 7. Nighttime demolition is scheduled to begin Tuesday night, January 12.
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) North Bridge over I-66 during daytime and nighttime hours is scheduled to begin next week. Demolition of the old bridge will overlap next week with utility work on the new Route 123 Bridge over I-66 and require overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West.
What's Ahead for the Week of January 5:
- Daytime demolition of portions of the bridge not over I-66 travel lanes is scheduled to begin Tuesday, January 5.
- Nighttime demolition of the bridge over I-66 East travel lanes is scheduled to begin Thursday night, January 7.
- Demolition work will continue during the overnight hours through the week with removal of the concrete bridge deck for each span, followed by removal of the bridge girders.
- When possible, demolition will occur during daytime hours, but portions of the bridge over I-66 must be demolished during nighttime hours when multiple lanes of I-66 can be closed for safety.
- Demolition of the original Route 123 bridges over I-66 is anticipated to take approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
- Additional details on planned bridge demolition are available here.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Wednesday, January 6, through Friday, January 8
I-66 East and West between Jermantown Road and Blake Lane
- A single lane will close at 9 p.m.
- Three lanes will close by 11 p.m. for overhead utility work and bridge demolition at Route 123.
- All lanes will open by 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
A new bridge over I-66 opened on December 30 for northbound Route 123 traffic. Southbound Route 123 traffic will shift to the new bridge in coming weeks as well, which will be followed by demolition of the old Route 123 South Bridge.
Demolition progress and updates will be posted regularly to the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Route 123 webpageand sent to the project email list (sign up here to receive). The Route 123 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and west and construct a new shared-use path.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.