VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 28, 2020
I-66 Reduced to One Lane in Each Direction Around Bull Run Drive Bridge During Overnight Hours Saturday, March 7, for Bridge Demolition
UPDATE (3/3/20): Lane closure hours extended to 9:30 a.m., rest areas to close overnight
UPDATE (3/3/20): Lane closure hours will extend to 9:30 a.m. Rest areas will close at 9 p.m. Get the latest details here.
FAIRFAX - Demolition of the old Bull Run Drive bridge over I-66 in western Fairfax County will require reducing I-66 to a single travel lane in each direction during the overnight hours of Saturday, March 7, from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. Two-way traffic will run on I-66 East for about one mile while the portion of the bridge over I-66 West is demolished.
Posted travel speeds will be reduced to 25 mph through the work zone. Drivers should expect delays when traveling in this area.
Closures are needed for crews to safely perform bridge demolition activities over the westbound lanes of I-66.
Saturday, March 7: 9 p.m. to 8 a.m.
I-66 East and West between Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) and Route 29 Centreville
- Around 9 p.m., the left-most lanes of I-66 East and West will close between Sudley Road and Route 29 Centreville.
- Around 10 p.m., I-66 West traffic approaching Bull Run Drive bridge will be narrowed to a single lane on the right. Traffic will cross through a gap in the median barrier to travel west in the I-66 East roadway and remain in this pattern past the bridge demolition activity. Westbound traffic will then cross back to the I-66 West roadway through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10 p.m., I-66 East traffic approaching Bull Run Drive Bridge will be narrowed to a single lane on the right. Traffic will remain in a single lane to the right to allow for two-way, single lane traffic in the I-66 East roadway past the bridge demolition activity. Eastbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where westbound traffic crossed over to I-66 East.
- Two-way traffic in the I-66 East roadway will be separated by traffic barrels and two closed travel lanes. State police will be stationed to assist with traffic control and response.
- All lanes will be open by 8 a.m.
- Travel speeds will be reduced to 25 mph through the work zone.
Similar weekend lane closures for bridge demolition over the eastbound lanes of I-66 are planned to occur the following Saturday, March 14, from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. Portions of the bridges not directly over I-66 will be demolished during daytime hours, and will not impact traffic on I-66. Demolition of the bridge pier will occur after the decking has been removed and will require closure of multiple lanes. That work has not yet been scheduled.
The new Bull Run Drive bridge partially opened to a single lane of traffic in mid-February and will be fully open to traffic in early March. The old bridge is being demolished to allow space for new highway lanes underneath.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled to the following Saturday(s) if inclement conditions occur.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.