VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 4, 2020
I-495 Express Lanes Northern Extension Project Location & Design Virtual Public Hearing October 5
VDOT will present and receive public input on draft design plans and environmental assessment at virtual public hearing Oct. 5; In-person, by-appointment-only hearing on Oct. 8
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will hold a virtual Location and Design Public Hearing on Monday, October 5, 2020, followed by an in-person (by-appointment-only) hearing for those unable to participate virtually on Thursday, October 8, 2020 for the I-495 Express Lanes Northern Extension Project (495 NEXT). VDOT will present and seek input on its Environmental Assessment (EA), and draft design plans for the 495 NEXT project.
The 495 NEXT Project involves extending the 495 Express Lanes by approximately three miles from the Dulles Toll Road interchange to the George Washington Memorial Parkway interchange in the vicinity of the American Legion Bridge to reduce congestion, improve safety and travel reliability, and provide additional travel choices. The project will involve a change in limited access control.
PUBLIC HEARING DETAILS
Virtual Location & Design Public Hearing
Monday, October 5, 2020
7 – 9:30 p.m.
- A formal presentation will begin at 7 p.m. followed by a formal comment session. Afterward, a 30-minute question and answer period will be offered if time allows.
- Due to COVID-19 health concerns and safety requirements, the public is encouraged to participate in this virtual hearing opportunity.
- The public can visit 495NorthernExtension.org or call 703-691-6715 for information on how to access and participate in the virtual public hearing and provide formal comments.
In-Person, By-Appointment-Only Location & Design Public Hearin
Thursday, October 8, 2020
4 – 8 p.m.
McLean Community Center
1234 Ingleside Avenue, McLean, VA 22101
- For people who are unable to participate in the virtual public hearing, VDOT is planning a by-appointment-only, in-person hearing that will include a video presentation and display boards.
- Project staff will be available to answer questions and receive public comments.
- CDC-recommended health measures, including mask requirements and social distancing, will be in place. Reservations are required to attend.
- Attendees must call 703-691-6715 or sign up at 495NorthernExtension.org to make a reservation.
How to Access Public Hearing Materials:
The project’s Environmental Assessment and design plans will be presented at the hearing, and are available now at 495NorthernExtension.org. Materials can also be reviewed at the following locations:
VDOT Northern Virginia District Office
4975 Alliance Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; public access by appointment only (call 703-691-6715 or TTY/TDD 711).
Dolley Madison Library
1244 Oak Ridge Avenue
McLean, VA 22101
Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/ or call 703-356-0770 for current hours of operation; public access limited to 30 minutes.
Great Falls Library
9830 Georgetown Pike
Great Falls, VA 22066
Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/ or call 703-757-8560 for current hours of operation; public access limited to 30 minutes.
Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library
7584 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22043
Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/ or call 703-790-8088 for current hours of operation; public access limited to 30 minutes.
McLean Community Center
1234 Ingleside Avenue
McLean, VA 22101
Visit www.mcleancenter.org/ or call 703-790-0123 for current hours of operation.
Fairfax County Department of Transportation
4050 Legato Road, 4th Floor
Fairfax, VA 22033
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Call 703-877-5600 for additional information.
Note: The project’s EA and design plans have been available to the public since February 26, 2020 at 495NorthernExtension.org, as well as at VDOT’s Northern Virginia District Office and nearby libraries until these buildings were closed due to COVID-19 restrictions.
How to Provide Input:
The new deadline for submitting comments for the public record on the Environmental Assessment and draft design plans is Friday, October 23, 2020.
- Provide written and/or oral comments at the virtual and in-person public hearings
- Email written comments to 495NorthernExtension@VDOT.Virginia.gov
- Submit comments online at org
- Mail comments to Abi Lerner, P.E., Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA
Comments should reference “I-495 Express Lanes Northern Extension Project” in the subject line.
Note: The Location and Design Public Hearing previously scheduled for March 12, 2020, was postponed due to COVID-19. The public comment period has remained open, and all previously-submitted comments will be included as part of the record of this hearing.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.