VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
May 28, 2020
Cedar Lane Bridge Demolition, Overnight Lane Closures on I-66 Continue This Weekend and Next Week
UPDATE (6/1): I-66 West Lane Closures Monday and Tuesday Nights from 7 p.m. to 10 a.m. for Bridge Demolition;
Work over Metrorail Tracks during Daytime Hours; Visit Outside.Transform66.org/CedarLane for Latest Updates
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the Cedar Lane bridge over I-66 will continue during daytime and overnight hours this weekend and next week. Overnight lane closures will be required on I-66 East and West to safely conduct the work over the roadway. The bridge is being demolished and rebuilt to accommodate the widening of I-66 as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What’s Ahead this Weekend and the Week of May 31:
- Work to complete demolition of bridge span over I-66 West will continue tonight (May 28) and Friday night (May 29) during overnight hours. Crews will use jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams to demolish the concrete bridge deck and walls.
- Demolition work over the Metrorail tracks will continue during daytime and overnight hours through this weekend (May 30-31).
- Early next week, nighttime demolition of the bridge span over I-66 East and the bridge pier along I-66 West is planned to begin. The old bridge beams over westbound and eastbound I-66 will also be removed.
- Construction schedules are subject to change based on weather and construction progress.
- For updates on construction, visit transform66.org/CedarLane.
What I-66 Drivers Should Expect:
- Tonight (May 28) and Friday night (May 29), between 9:30 p.m. and 4:30 a.m., I-66 West will be reduced to one lane near Cedar Lane in Vienna.
- On Saturday, May 30, one lane on westbound I-66 will be closed from 5:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. for demolition over the Metrorail tracks.
- From 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 30, until noon on Sunday, May 31, one lane on eastbound I-66 will be closed for demolition over the Metrorail tracks.
- On Monday, June 1, through Wednesday, June 3, eastbound and westbound I-66 will be reduced to one travel lane between 9:30 p.m. and 4:30 a.m. Drivers should expect periodic 20-minute stoppages while bridge beams are removed.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and subject to change.
Recent Construction Progress:
- Demolition of the first of four spans of the bridge and the northern bridge abutment is complete.
- Demolition of the bridge span over westbound I-66 is underway.
The future Cedar Lane Bridge is scheduled to open in November 2020. The new bridge will consist of two 12-foot lanes (one lane in each direction). A shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists will be built on the east side of the bridge, as well as a sidewalk on the west side of the bridge. The bridge will also have seven-foot-tall fencing on both sides.
During the Cedar Lane Bridge closure, a posted detour routes drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to Gallows Road to cross I-66 using either Cottage Street (north side of I-66) or Hilltop Road and Lee Highway (south side of I-66).
Additionally, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project is partnering with Fairfax County to enhance transit services in the vicinity of the bridge. Fairfax Connector Routes 462 and 467 are offering increased frequency and expanded hours during the bridge closure to assist affected travelers. Visit www.FairfaxConnector.com for additional information.
Visit outside.transform66.org/CedarLane for construction updates and more information on the planned closure and reconstruction of Cedar Lane bridge.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.