VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 21, 2020
Bridge Demolition and Lane Closures at Route 123 and Fairfax County Parkway for Transform 66 Project for the Week of February 23
FAIRFAX – Demolition continues during overnight hours next week on the ramp from I-66 West to Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) South over I-66, and on portions of the I-66 bridges over Fairfax County Parkway (Route 286). Lane closures on I-66 East and Route 286 North and South will be required nightly to safely accommodate this work.
Demolition Progress During Week of Feb. 16:
- Demolition of the ramp from I-66 West to Route 123 South over I-66 began on Wednesday, Jan. 29. Demolition of two of the four spans of the bridge is complete, with work nearly complete on the span over eastbound I-66.
- Partial demolition of the I-66 bridges over Fairfax County Parkway (Route 286) began on Thursday, Feb. 13. Demolition of two of the six spans is complete.
What’s Planned Around Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road):
- Removal of the old bridge beams over I-66 East is planned for Friday night, Feb. 21.
- Additional demolition is planned from Sunday night, Feb. 23, through Friday night, Feb. 28. Work during overnight hours includes removal of the concrete bridge deck, followed by removal of the bridge girders, and demolition of the bridge piers.
- Nighttime demolition of the Route 123 ramp over I-66 is anticipated to be complete in early March
- Nightly lane closures for demolition will occur on I-66 East between Route 50 and Route 123 with occasional 20-minute stoppages between midnight and 4 a.m. (5 a.m. on weekends).
What’s Planned Around Fairfax County Parkway (Route 286):
- Demolition of I-66 spans over Fairfax County Parkway is planned for Friday night, Feb. 21, and from Monday night, Feb. 24, through Friday night, Feb. 28.
- Work during overnight hours includes removal of the concrete bridge deck for each span, followed by removal of the bridge girders.
- Nighttime partial demolition of the I-66 bridges over Fairfax County Parkway is anticipated to be complete around mid-March.
- Nightly lane closures for demolition will occur on Fairfax County Parkway approaching I-66, with occasional 20-minute stoppages between midnight and 4 a.m. (6 a.m. on weekends).
Work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur. Find additional details on planned traffic closures at www.Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.