VDOT News - Northern Virginia
July 15, 2020
Battlefield Parkway Closure at Route 7 in Leesburg Begins Sunday Night, July 26
Detours in place for approximately ten months to build new overpass; Route 7 remains open
Update: The Battlefield Parkway closure at Route 7 and detour are expected to be in place as early as 6 p.m. Sunday, July 26. For Sunday night, drivers can expect overnight lane closures on Route 7 as early as 7 p.m. in each direction with intermittent 20-minute full closures after 11 p.m.
LEESBURG – Battlefield Parkway between Russell Branch Parkway and the Marketplace at Potomac Station shopping center entrance will be closed beginning Sunday night, July 26 for approximately ten months to allow crews to construct an overpass as part of the new interchange at Route 7 and Battlefield Parkway, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Once the closure is in place, the traffic signal at the intersection will be removed from service. During the closure, Route 7 eastbound and westbound will remain open to traffic at all times.
Route 7 traffic headed to Battlefield Parkway will be detoured via the following routes:
- Eastbound Route 7 to Southbound Battlefield Parkway: Route 7, Crosstrail Boulevard and Russell Branch Parkway back to Battlefield Parkway
- Eastbound Route 7 to Northbound Battlefield Parkway: Route 7, River Creek Parkway and Fort Evans Road back to Battlefield Parkway
- Westbound Route 7 to Northbound Battlefield Parkway: River Creek Parkway and Fort Evans Road back to Battlefield Parkway
- Westbound Route 7 to Southbound Battlefield Parkway: Crosstrail Boulevard and Russell Branch Parkway back to Battlefield Parkway
Battlefield Parkway traffic will be detoured via the following routes:
- Northbound Battlefield Parkway: Russell Branch Parkway, Crosstrail Boulevard/River Creek Parkway, and Fort Evans Road back to Battlefield Parkway
- Southbound Battlefield Parkway: Fort Evans Road, River Creek Parkway/Crosstrail Boulevard, and Russell Branch Parkway back to Battlefield Parkway
Watch a video detailing the detour routes here.
To help detour traffic flow more efficiently, a second left turn lane has been added from southbound Battlefield Parkway to eastbound Fort Evans Road, and from northbound River Creek Parkway to westbound Fort Evans Road.
Message boards displaying the closure date are in place as part of advance notification to travelers.
In addition to the new grade-separated interchange, other project improvements include:
- Removing the signal at Route 7 and Cardinal Park Drive and modifying the intersection.
- Adding auxiliary lanes on eastbound Route 7 from the Leesburg Bypass to the Battlefield Parkway interchange, and from the Battlefield Parkway interchange to River Creek Parkway/Crosstrail Boulevard.
- Constructing a shared-use path along northbound Battlefield Parkway and a sidewalk along southbound Battlefield Parkway.
The entire project is scheduled to be complete in fall 2021.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.