VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 8, 2019
Vaden Drive Bridge Construction Update: Lane Closures Continue on I-66 Next Week as Bridge Demolition Progresses to Span Over I-66 West
Construction of new bridge abutment to begin week of Nov. 10
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 near the Vienna Metrorail Station continues during the day and nighttime hours. Nightly lane closures on east and westbound I-66 will be required next week. Crews are demolishing the existing Vaden Drive bridge and constructing a new one as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Construction Progress During Week of Nov. 3:
- Demolition of the bridge span over the Metrorail tracks and the southern bridge abutment continued.
- Concrete removal for the span over the Metrorail tracks is complete.
- Abutment demolition is nearly complete.
What's Ahead This Weekend and the Week of Nov. 10:
- This weekend (Nov. 8 and 9), nighttime demolition of the bridge pier along I-66 East next to the Metrorail tracks and one-to-two nights of bridge girder removal over the Metrorail tracks are planned.
- Early next week, nighttime demolition of the bridge span over I-66 West is planned to begin. Work will continue through the week with removal of the concrete bridge deck and walls, followed by removal of the bridge girders later in the week.
- Construction will begin on the southern abutment of the new bridge to include pile driving during daytime hours.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Two left lanes will be closed on eastbound and westbound I-66 during nighttime hours on Friday, Nov. 8, and Saturday, Nov. 9, between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m.
- Lanes will be closed on westbound I-66 during the overnight hours on Sunday, Nov. 10, through Saturday, Nov.16, with only one lane open between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. (until 6 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights).
- All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m. on weekdays and by 9 a.m. on weekends.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and might be adjusted.
- Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 will remain closed for approximately 10 months to accommodate demolition and new construction. The temporary bridge closure is expected to cut the construction schedule in half – from 24 months to 12 months – and will reduce impacts on traffic as well as adjacent communities.
- Drivers will be detoured to Nutley Street to access I-66 East or West or to reach points on the other side of I-66.
Demolition progress as of Friday, Nov. 8. The spans over I-66 East have been removed. Concrete removal for the span over the Metrorail tracks is complete. Covering used to protect the tracks during demolition is visible below the remaining girders.
Concrete bridge deck has been removed over the Metrorail tracks and girders are nearly ready to be removed (Nov. 7).
Slabs of concrete wall and bridge deck have been removed from over the Metrorail tracks and are ready to be hauled away (Nov. 7).
Bridge girders seen from below, ready to be cut, removed, and hauled away (Nov. 7).
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.