VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 7 p.m.
Jan. 31, 2019
Be Alert to Potential Weather Impacts for Friday a.m. Commutes
Monitor weather and road conditions before leaving
VDOT asks that drivers be alert to potential wintry weather that may impact commutes Friday morning. Snow during the morning rush hour may cause icy conditions.
What's Happening Now
- See the National Weather Service's Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 3 p.m. Friday for areas of northern Virginia.
- Crews continue working overnight to treat roads for refreeze from earlier this week, and will also be staged tomorrow morning to treat roads for more light snow.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Continue to closely monitor weather, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Before leaving, check road conditions along your route at www.511virginia.org, on the free app for Apple and Android, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- If road conditions become hazardous, delay travel for your safety and to give truck time to treat roads.
- If driving, allow plenty of time for trips. Brake lightly to keep tires from slipping and allow plenty of following distance. Give trucks plenty of room and do not pass. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.