VDOT News - Hampton Roads
Hampton Roads Communications 757-956-3032
Jan. 28, 2022
WITH SNOW IN THE FORECAST, MOTORISTS MUST STAY OFF ROADS
Additional resources routed to Eastern Shore in advance of snowfall
- An additional 22 trucks equipped with plows and spreaders, for a total of 45;
- Six additional loaders;
- Five tree crews to assist with downed trees, branches and debris that may fall across the roads;
- One staged, heavy-duty rotator wrecker for assistance as-needed; and
- An incident management coordinator to assist with clearing incidents and working with heavy-duty equipment.
- Visit www.511Virginia.org for the latest road conditions before traveling. If possible, avoid travel until precipitation stops and road conditions improve.
- Give crews time and space to treat roads.
- Remove snow and ice from vehicles before traveling.
- If you must travel during adverse weather conditions:
- Allow plenty of time to reach your destination
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind the vehicle ahead of you
- Brake very lightly to keep your tires from slipping on pavement
- Do not crowd or pass snowplows
- Keep an emergency winter weather kit in your vehicle which includes food, water, first aid materials, tools and blankets in the event of a breakdown or stoppage.
- Free 511 Virginia Tools – Get the latest traffic conditions before traveling by calling 511, or go to www.511virginia.org. You also can download Virginia’s free 511 mobile app at https://www.virginiadot.org/travel/511.asp.
- 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) – Report road hazards or ask road-related questions at VDOT’s 24-hour Customer Service Center by calling this statewide toll-free number.
- WAZE – VDOT recently partnered with Waze to add a new feature to the navigation software app that allows users to report, in real-time during winter weather, when a road has not been plowed. It will also inform travelers when they are approaching a road that has been identified by other drivers as unplowed.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.