VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
April 27, 2021
Virtual Location and Design Public Hearing scheduled for Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Section B
Tuesday, May 18 at 5 p.m. https://www.virginiadot.org/PoplarCreekPhaseB
BRISTOL – The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will hold an online location and design public meeting next month for the Corridor Q: Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B project in Buchanan County.
The virtual meeting will be held Tuesday, May 18 at 5 p.m. and is accessed from the following link: https://www.Virginiadot.org/PoplarCreekPhaseB. Additionally, a virtual question and answer session in advance of the meeting is scheduled for May 11, 2021 at 5 p.m. also accessible via the link above.
Both opportunities will begin with a brief presentation at 5 p.m. followed by a question and answer session.
The purpose of the virtual meeting is to give citizens an opportunity to review the proposed location and design plans for the 1.86-mile Poplar Creek Phase B segment of Route 460/121 that will travel from the east end of the Poplar Creek Phase A section near Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road) to existing Route 460 at Grundy. The project includes a proposed bridge that crosses the Levisa Fork River and an at-grade intersection with existing Route 460.
Additionally, the virtual hearing provides an opportunity to review the NEPA re-valuation for the project, which evaluated any social, economic and environmental changes since the environmental studies document in 2015.
In July 2015, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) determined the construction of the project will not result in any new significant impacts and that the project may proceed to subsequent development.
After reviewing the online documents and participating in the online meeting(s) at https://www.virginiadot.org/poplarcreekphaseb, comments can be provided to VDOT until May 28, 2021 through the following methods:
- Call the project team at 276-676-3322 or 276-880-0121
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Poplar Creek Phase B” in the subject line
- Online survey from the Poplar Creek Phase B public meeting page. Additionally, a PDF comment sheet to print and mail is also provided on the public meeting page.
- Traditional mail to VDOT Project Manager Laura Beth Hale, 2111 Bonham Road, Bristol, Virginia 24201.
If you would like a paper copy of the survey mailed to you, or need further special assistance, please reach out to the project team by calling 276-880-0121, or call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623), or device for hearing impaired (TTY) at 711.
Approximately 13 miles of Corridor Q in Virginia remain incomplete, with three miles currently under construction and the remaining 10 miles to be completed to rough grade or under construction by 2021.
One mile of Corridor Q in Virginia opened in November 2021: Route 460 Connector Phase I. Located at the Virginia/Kentucky border, the project included construction of the tallest bridges in Virginia. The opening coincided with Kentucky opening four miles of Corridor Q: Route 460 between Virginia and Beaver, Ky.
Corridor Q Poplar Creek Phase B is part of federally designated Corridor Q, part of the Appalachian Development Highway System which travels through Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia and generally follows the Route 460 corridor with some sections on new location.
Corridor Q stretches eastward from the Virginia/Kentucky state line to Christiansburg, a distance of 127.5 miles. Approximately 13 miles of Corridor Q in Virginia remain uncompleted:
- Route 460 Connector Phase II (6.2 miles): constructed to rough grade
- Route 460/121 intersection (0.6 miles): constructed to rough grade
- Hawks Nest segment of Corridor Q/Route 121 (2 miles): completed to rough grade
- Paving of the above three sections will occur in the 2022 paving season with the sections tentatively scheduled to open to traffic in late 2023
- Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase A (2.8 miles): under construction; public-private partnership contract signed with Bizzack Construction July 2016; provides at grade connection with Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road).
- Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B (1.8 miles): funded in late 2020; includes two-lane roadway with climbing lane as needed with a bridge over Levisa Fork; connects with current Route 460 at Grundy to complete Corridor Q in Virginia. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.