VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Jan. 28, 2021
Efforts underway to clear snow from highways in southwest Virginia
4 a.m. - January 28, 2021
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and its partners are working to clear snow from highways in southwest Virginia.
Following are conditions on highways in southwest Virginia as of 4 a.m.:
- Interstates 81 and 77 are clear.
- Primary highways in Washington, Smyth, Lee and Scott counties are clear.
- Most primary highways in Tazewell County are snow-covered and slick.
- Primary highways in Dickenson, Wise, Bland, Grayson, Wythe, Buchanan and Russell counties have reports of scattered snow and ice patches.
- The majority of secondary highways in Dickenson, Bland, Grayson, Wythe, Washington, Buchanan and Tazewell counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Most secondary routes in Wise, Lee, Smyth and Russell counties have scattered snow and ice patches.
- Primary and secondary highways in Scott County are clear.
Once the snow ends and crews have finalized snow removal on primary highways, they will move to routes numbers 600 and above.
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.