The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) believes veterans and military spouses make our department better and our communities stronger.
In 2015, we committed to focus on increasing our veteran hiring by becoming a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Agency Partner.
In 2017, we established the VDOT Veteran Network (VetNet) program with the goals of:
- Increasing veteran, transitioning military and military spouse employment
- Building strategic partnerships and outreach programs
- Increased awareness of the military culture
- Veteran employee engagement including ambassador and mentor programs
- Training and development, including internship and apprenticeship programs
VDOT increased veteran hiring by approximately ten percent between 2016 and 2019, which resulted in our being the first state agency to receive the (V3) Secretary’s Award for innovative hiring initiatives.
In November, 2019, we were the first Virginia state agency to become a Military Spouse Employment Partner to support military spouse hiring initiatives.
We aspire to increase veteran and military spouse hiring by ten percent annually.
Our commitment extends beyond hiring. We strive to learn more about the needs of the military / veteran communities. We are intentional about building true relationships and strategic partnerships to be the leading organization advocate and voice for transitioning veterans, military spouses and military families.