VDOT Materials Certification Schools
2021 Materials Certification Schools (MCS)
ATTENTION: Please read the following carefully (COVID-19 Guidance).
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, VDOT is revising the following Materials Certification Schools guidelines:
- If you have never held a certification, you will be allowed to work under the direct supervision of a certified individual until June 30, 2021. The uncertified individual is "required" to complete the pertinent self-study or online course for a knowledge base prior to starting work.
- Those who held certifications that expired on December 31, 2020 will have their certifications extended until June 30, 2021.
- Those who held certifications that expired on December 31, 2019 will al have their certifications extended until June, 2021.
To maintain a certification beyond 6/30/2021, individuals will need to complete all requirements for certification prior to 7/1/2021. We strongly encourage participation in all available online courses to avoid any further delays.
Currently all certification courses are available as either self-study or online options at the respective community colleges. Written and proficiency exams are available as in-person or remotely proctored exams at the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA), Germanna Community College (GCC), Reynolds Community College (Parham Road campus), John Tyler Community College (Chester and Midlothian campus), Danville Community College, Tidewater Community College, and Southside Virginia Community College.
PLEASE NOTE: Current holders of the ACI Concrete Field-Testing Technician certification or the WACEL Concrete Level I Technician certification, who have recently expired or will expire by year's end, may continue working on VDOT projects through June 30, 2021. After June 30, 2021, a valid certification will be required.
Once again, these guidelines will be in place until June 30, 2021 or until new guidance is issued.
As conditions and guidance on the pandemic changes, these guidelines will be updated and posted here on the Materials Certification Schools webpage.
The MCS courses are currently being delivered through a partnership between VDOT, the Virginia Education Center for Asphalt Technology (VECAT) with Germanna Community College (GCC) and the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA).
VECAT, through Germanna Community College (GCC), is hosting the following courses, which are now available either online or in a face to face format:
- Asphalt Field Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design
- Cold Asphalt Recycling Field
- Cold Asphalt Recycling Plant
- Full Depth Reclamation (FDR)
- Slurry Surfacing
- Surface Treatment
The CCWA is hosting the following courses, which are available in a traditional (instructor-led) format or as a self-study option, allowing the students to challenge the Materials Certification exams:
- Soils and Aggregates Compaction
- Concrete Plant
- Central Mix Aggregate Plant
- Pavement Marking (only available as an online course)
For more information on CCWA courses and registration click here or contact CCWA at 804-523-2290 or 804-523-2292.
Students are required to register for classes on the GCC and/or CCWA web sites. ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Access to test grades will be first done on GCC and CCWA and certification credentials will ONLY be available through VDOT University Virtual Campus, so ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Grades and certifications are issued within 15-30 business days after the testing date.
For questions or concerns regarding MCS grades or certification status, contact us at MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov .
If you are currently participating in VDOT's Materials Certification Schools, you can access your Materials Certification Reports via the VDOT University Virtual Campus:
Maintenance of Certification
All of the MCS Certifications are valid for five years and must be retaken every five years to maintain the certification. If your certification expires this year, you must successfully complete all requirements for the certification by completing an instructor-led or self-study course and any proficiency in the same calendar year.
Some courses also require that the proficiency be demonstrated at a VDOT approved locations. Enrollment can be completed on through Germanna Community College or CCWA. That list has been provided below:
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Level 2 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Concrete Field - Current ACI must be submitted to MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov
- Soils and Aggregate Compaction - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA
- **New**Central Mix Aggregate Plant - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA **New**
To learn about CHANGES up to 2018, please review the following:
- MCS Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- 2013 Program Changes (PDF)
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Certification Program Schedule
- Nuclear Radiation Certifications can now be obtained online through third party vendors (PDF)
MCS Learning Partnership Update Newsletter:
If you have more in-depth questions, contact the Materials Certification Schools team:
Phone: Scott Manning 804-229-5118 or Duane Sayre 804-328-3150