Location and Design Division
The Land Survey Technician Apprenticeship Program (LSTAP)
The Land Survey Technician Apprenticeship Program (LSTAP) prepares individuals for entry-level Surveyor Technician II positions. Land Surveyor Technician is a valuable first step on a VDOT career path. Participants engage in a series of required learning and on the job training over a two-year period. The LSTAP provides a viable pool of Land Surveyor Technicians to fill the anticipated need in Virginia. The program prepares fully qualified employees to increase the bench strength of existing staff.
- Ensure VDOT establishes an adequate number of trained and certified Land Surveyor Technicians required to ensure quality construction, maintenance and the general safety of Virginia’s transportation system.
- Leverage coaching opportunities, OJT, strategic assignments, and classroom training to produce fully qualified Land Surveyor Technicians to the districts.
- Hire Land Surveyor Technicians based on agency needs.
- Solicit continuous feedback from apprentices and their supervisors on program’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Measure success of the program through retention rates and tracking of career progression of apprentices over time.
Eugene Reed Adams, Jr., L.S., E.I.T.
Geospatial Program Manager
VDOT- Location & Design Division
1401 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA. 23219