Northern Virginia Commuter Resources
- Read about Northern Virginia projects and plans.
Traffic and weather
- View the road conditions map for road conditions and construction delays on Northern Virginia highways.
- Traffic cameras let you see road conditions before you get into your car.
- Evacuation: VDOT works with localities in Northern Virginia in developing incident plans that include appropriate evacuation routes in the event of an emergency. Should an event occur, you should tune to your emergency alert system radio or TV station for the latest information. For a list of stations, click here.
- Listen to Highway Advisory Radio on 1620 AM: (Areas marked by flashing signs provide the latest traffic information within a four to five-mile radius):
- Along Interstate 95 in Aquia and Garrisonville
- Along I-95 from Route 123 through Springfield to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge
- Read about upcoming road closures and traffic alerts
- Safety rest areas and welcome centers offer a place to stop and alleviate driver fatigue.
- Check an exit number with our Virginia exits list.
- CommuterPage.Com gives you commuting news and information.
- Commuter Connections offers assistance in the Washington, D.C., region.
- HOV lanes are one of the best ways to make your commute easier. Learn more about how and when to use them, plus find out how to start or join a carpool.
- Virginia rideshare agencies can help you find a carpool or get public transportation schedules.
- Metro Trip Planner lets you plan your commute using Metrobus and Metrorail so you can leave the driving to someone else.
- Telework!VA has information on telecommuting.
VDOT is a proud to be a local sponsor of the Bike to Work day! Further information can be found at Bicycling in Northern Virginia and by viewing the Washington Area Bicyclist Association website www.waba.org.
Other commuter links
- E-ZPass automated toll collection
- Virginia Railway Express
- DASH- Alexandria's local bus service
- Fairfax County Department of Transportation
- Loudoun County Office of Transportation Services
- Prince William County Transportation Systems
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority