Frederick County - I-81 Abrams Creek Bridge and Exit 313 Modification
|Widen bridges over Abram's Creek and modify interchange|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
APAC-Atlantic Inc. of Manassas
- The project location is at the Route 50/522 interchange at exit 313.
- New northbound on-ramp with an extended merge area.
- Constructed new bridge over Abram’s Creek. This was built adjacent to the existing northbound bridge in the I-81 mainline lanes.
- Interchange traffic pattern improvement: Ramp from westbound Route 50/522 to southbound I-81 was closed in October 2006. All traffic entering the I-81 southbound lanes now uses the existing ramp from eastbound Route 50/522.
- Improvements to signalization at various intersections and additional lanes for through and turn lanes at the intersection of Route 50/522 and the I-81 northbound entrance ramp.
- A new sidewalk is along the south side of Route 50/522.
- Eliminates traffic weaving in the I-81 southbound acceleration and deceleration lanes under the Route 50/522 bridge.
- Lengthen northbound on-ramp to allow more room to merge on to I-81 mainline.
- Allow pedestrian access across the Route 50/522 bridge over I-81.
- Improve traffic flow with turn-lanes at Route 50/522 and the I-81 entrance ramp
- Media event held on October 10 to preview interchange traffic pattern change which took place in late October.
- Ribbon cutting on August 16, 2007 celebrating impending bridge completion.