Interstate 581 and Valley View Interchange Improvements
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Lengths and Limits
From 0.24 mile south of Hershberger Rd to 1.561 miles south of Hershberger Rd.
Scott Woodrum, P.E.
What is being done?
This project will complete the partial Interstate 581 interchange with Valley View Boulevard at exit 3C in the City of Roanoke. The partial interchange was constructed in 1999.
Work will include building an off-ramp from southbound I-581 onto Valley View Boulevard and an on-ramp from Valley View Boulevard onto northbound I-581.
The project also includes implementing a diverging diamond interchange concept which will include improving the existing off-ramp from northbound I-581 onto Valley View Boulevard and the existing on-ramp from Valley View Boulevard onto southbound I-581. Click here for a graphic of the interchange concept.
The diverging diamond interchange concept at this location will reduce the right of way impacts, simplify traffic signal operations and reduce impacts to streams and utilities.
Other features of the project include:
- Building a continuous lane on southbound I-581 to connect the on-ramp at Hershberger Road to the new off-ramp at Valley View Boulevard
- Building a continuous through lane on northbound I-581 to connect the new on-ramp from Valley View Boulevard to the off-ramp at Hershberger Road
- Widening the bridge over I-581 to four lanes with turn lanes onto the I-581 on-ramps
- Realigning a portion of the Lick Run Greenway to the north of its current location
- Installing sound walls along portions of I-581
- Installing roadway lighting at the interchange and along the ramps
- Installing new signals for the intersection and ramp movements
- Replacing the signal at Valley View Crossing
- Repaving portions of Valley View Boulevard
What is the project timeline?
In March 2013, VDOT awarded a design-build contract to The LANE Construction Corporation of Chantilly to complete final design, acquire right of way and construct the project.
Preliminary surveying and testing started in June 2013. Construction could be underway by fall 2013 with work completed in mid-2016.
A public hearing was held in June 2011 at William Fleming High School to give citizens an opportunity to review and comment on the project information.
A citizen information meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Dec.10 from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. at William Fleming High School. Give your written or oral comments at the meeting or submit them by December 20, 2013, to, P.O. Box 3071, Salem, VA 24153. You may also e-mail your comments to email@example.com. Please reference “I-581/Valley View Boulevard Comments” in the subject heading.
Citizen information meeting materials: