Noise Barrier Walls
To protect citizens and to provide consistency in the application of noise abatement measures, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) adopted a State Noise Abatement Policy (SNAP), based upon Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) noise regulations (23 CFR 772).
The SNAP was established in 1989. The SNAP was last revised in 1997.
In response to new technology and the industry practices, FHWA proposed changes to the federal noise abatement policy and regulation.
As a result, the final rule was published on July 13, 2010, with an effective date of July 13, 2011.
The final rule requires each state DOT to revise its noise policy to be in accordance with the federal noise regulations. Due to these changes, the SNAP was updated.
The updated SNAP was approved by the FHWA on March 15, 2011, and subsequently approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board on June 15, 2011. The SNAP has an effective date of July 13, 2011.
- State Noise Abatement Policy
- Highway traffic noise impact analysis guidance manual
- Noise report development guidance document (Version 5)
- About noise walls
- Average barrier cost memo
- Noise walls process
- Did you know?
- Barrier voting summary worksheet user guide (Version 1)
- Barrier voting summary worksheet (Version 1.2)
- Noise report guidance accountability checklist (Version 3)
- Volume V - Part 12 Sound walls - Architectural treatment
- 23 CFR 772
- FHWA highway traffic noise analysis and abatement guidance