Noise Barrier Walls
To protect the citizens in the commonwealth and to provide consistency in the application of noise abatement measures, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) adopted a State Noise Abatement Policy (SNAP) based upon Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) noise regulations (23 CFR 772).
The Virginia SNAP was formally established in 1989. The SNAP was last revised in 1997.
In response to new technology and the industry practices, FHWA proposed changes to the federal noise abatement policy and regulation. As a result, the final rule was published on July 13, 2010 with an effective date of July 13, 2011.
The final rule requires each state DOT to revise its noise policy to be in accordance with the federal noise regulations. Due to these changes, the SNAP was updated.
The updated SNAP was approved by the FHWA on March 15, 2011 and subsequently approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board on June 15, 2011. The SNAP has an effective date of July 13, 2011.
- State Noise Abatement Policy
- Highway traffic noise impact analysis guidance manual
- Noise Report Guidance Accountability Checklist (Version 1) FORM
- Noise Report Development Guidance Document (Version 2)
- About noise walls
- Average Barrier Cost Memo
- Noise walls FAQs
- Noise walls process
- Did you know?
- Volume V-Part 12 Sound Walls-Architectural Treatment
- 23 CFR 772
- FHWA highway traffic noise analysis and abatement guidance