Sycolin Road Overpass
|Over the Route 7/15 Bypass in Leesburg|
Project at a Glance
June 3, 2013
Sycolin Road to Close (Hope Pkwy. to
June 8, 2013
Sycolin Road to Re-Open
Est Completion Date
Oct. 14, 2014
$17.7 million total
Shirley Contracting Co., LLC
About the Project
This project improves safety and traffic flow by replacing the existing signalized intersection with an overpass carrying Sycolin Road over the Route 7/15 Bypass.
The project eliminates the traffic signal and existing turn lanes from the Route 7/15 Bypass to Sycolin Road, and from Sycolin Road to the Bypass, removing direct access between the two roads. Drivers on Sycolin Road will primarily use the Dulles Greenway or Battlefield Parkway to access the Bypass.
The new bridge over the Bypass will include two 12-foot travel lanes in each direction, a sidewalk along the southbound lanes, and a barrier-separated, shared-use path along the northbound lanes.
The project also includes earth embankments and retaining walls, drainage improvements and guardrail.
During construction, drivers can expect periodic day and night lane closures, and some overnight complete road closures on the Route 7/15 Bypass.
Most overnight road closures will be brief, lasting 20-25 minutes. Message boards will be in place approaching the project area in each direction on Sycolin Road and on the Route 7/15 Bypass throughout the project to notify drivers of scheduled closures.
Sycolin Road detour
Sycolin Road is closed through mid-August 2014 between Gateway Drive and Hope Parkway while crews build the overpass.
Detour signs are in place to direct drivers to the following alternate routes (see a detailed, color-coded map):
- North detour (green route): Westbound Battlefield Parkway to Miller Drive SE to westbound Dulles Greenway (Rt. 267) to eastbound Rt. 7/15 Bypass to westbound Rt. 7 to Plaza Street SE/Sycolin Road (This section of the Greenway does not require a toll).
- South detour (blue route): Plaza Street to eastbound Rt. 7 to westbound Rt. 7/15 Bypass to eastbound Dulles Greenway (Rt. 267) to eastbound Battlefield Parkway to Sycolin Road (This section of Greenway does not require a toll).
- Alternate north detour (purple route): Eastbound Battlefield Parkway to westbound Rt. 7 to Plaza Street SE/Sycolin Road
- Alternate south detour (yellow route): Eastbound Rt. 7/15 Bypass to eastbound Rt. 7 to westbound Battlefield Parkway to Sycolin Road.
Access between Sycolin Road and the Bypass
Direct access to and from the Bypass has been closed permanently. When the Sycolin Road overpass opens, drivers will continue to use the suggested alternate routes to access Sycolin Road from the Bypass and the Bypass from Sycolin Road.
Crews are working on the following operations:
- Bridge Deck for the Sycolin Road is poured. Contractor is working on the barrier and parapet on the bridge.
- North side of the Bridge on curb & gutter, sidewalk, shared-use path and preparing for base Asphalt placement up to the bridge.
- South side of the Bridge, crews are to install curb & gutter, shared- use path and prepare for base Asphalt placement up to the bridge.
- Crew is also working on Sound Wall on right side of Rte. 7/15 Bypass Eastbound. Most of the posts are installed and the crew began placing sound wall panels in mid-June.
- Project progress is on time.
Public hearing project display and brochure (May 2012)
Environmental information: Cultural resources, historical resources, noise impacts and environmental document (Categorical Exclusion)
State Project Number: 6007-053-S96,P101,R201,C501,B666 UPC: 99256
Federal Project Number: STP-5A01(229)