Route 7 Truck-Climbing Lane and Operational Improvements
|From West Market Street to Route 9 in Loudoun County|
Project at a Glance
About the Project
This project improved safety and eased congestion along westbound Route 7 between West Market Street and Route 9 by constructing a truck climbing lane for slow-moving heavy vehicles. Previously, heavy trucks such as tractor-trailers often slowed traffic behind them as they traveled the steep grade. The project also featured the following safety and operational improvements:
• Reconfigured medians to reduce turn conflicts, and some side street intersection modifications
• Two new roundabouts where the ramps to and from Route 7 meet Route 9 to improve traffic flow and reduce delay along Route 9
• Relocated W&OD Trail through the Route 9 interchange to reduce conflicts between trail users and vehicles
• A new road segment to complete the connection of neighborhoods along Beechnut Road
• Extension of Fort Johnston Road to provide a connection to Alysheba Drive, Farm Market Road and Leeland Orchard Road.
• A new turn lane from eastbound West Market Street to the westbound Route 7 on-ramp.
VDOT administered the project in cooperation with the Town of Leesburg and Loudoun County.
VDOT awarded the design-build contract to the Shirley/Dewberry team on Oct. 25, 2013. Construction commenced on the project June 26, 2014 with the installation of construction signage. The Roxbury interchange was modified from input received at the "Pardon Our Dust" meeting held on May 15, 2014. An artist rendering of this revised interchange is available below.
Project Western Limits Additional Landscaping (PDF)
Project Western Limits Additional Landscaping (JPG)
Project Eastern Limits Exhibit
Project Western Limits Exhibit
Graphic of Roundabout Operations
Artist Rendering of Revised Roxbury Interchange
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting presentation (May 2014)
Environmental Design approval
Endorsements from Leesburg Town Council and Loudoun Board of Supervisors
Public hearing project brochure (May 2012) and responses to comments received
Detail views of improvements for West Market Street and Route 9 interchanges
Draft Noise Report (Oct. 2011)
Final Noise Report (Jan. 2013)
Traffic volumes (8 MB) and crash data (14 MB)
Comments from Beacon Hill Homeowners Association meeting (Aug. 2010)
State project: 6007-053-133, P101, R201, C501