Route 7 Truck-Climbing Lane and Operational Improvements
|From West Market Street to Route 9 in Loudoun County|
Project at a Glance
About the Project
The purpose of this project is to improve safety and ease congestion along westbound Route 7 between West Market Street and Route 9 by constructing a truck climbing lane for slow-moving heavy vehicles. Currently, heavy trucks such as tractor-trailers often slow traffic behind them as they travel the steep grade. The project also features the following safety and operational improvements:
• Reconfigured medians to reduce turn conflicts, and some side street intersection modifications
• Two new roundabouts where the ramps to and from Route 7 meet Route 9 to improve traffic flow and reduce delay along Route 9
• Relocated W&OD Trail through the Route 9 interchange to reduce conflicts between trail users and vehicles
• A new road segment to complete the connection of neighborhoods along Beechnut Road
• Extension of Fort Johnston Road to provide a connection to Alysheba Drive, Farm Market Road and Leeland Orchard Road.
• A new turn lane from eastbound West Market Street to the westbound Route 7 on-ramp.
VDOT is administering the project in cooperation with the Town of Leesburg and Loudoun County.
VDOT is currently in the process of procuring a design-build contractor to complete the project. Three teams have been short-listed: Branch Highways/RDA, Corman Construction/AMT, and Shirley/Dewberry. See the anticipated procurement schedule below.
Engineering of roadway plans: $4 million
Right of way acquisition and utility relocation: $3.5 million
Construction: $32 million
Total: Approximately $39.5 million
Design hearing and comment period: May 2012
Design approval: July 2012
Advertise Request for Proposals (RFP) to short-listed Design-Build teams: March 2013
Technical Proposal Submission: June 2013
Price Proposal Submission: August 2013
CTB Approval/Notice to Award: October 2013
Design-Build Contract Execution: November 2013
Construction Completion: October 2015
Click image for a full-size view of the plans.
Responses to public comments
Endorsements from Leesburg Town Council and Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
Project brochure from the public hearing held May 9, 2012
Full-sized plan pictured above (15 MB)
Detail views of improvements for West Market Street and Route 9 interchanges
Environmental document (Categorical Exclusion) and noise report
Traffic volumes (8 MB) and crash data (14 MB)
Comments from Beacon Hill Homeowners Association meeting in August 2010
Project #6007-053-133, P101, R201, C501 – UPC# 58599