Route 1 WideningMarys Way to Annapolis Way in Prince William County
About the Project
Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) is being widened from four to six lanes between Marys Way and Annapolis Way.
The project includes:
- Enhanced access to the Woodbridge Virginia Railway Express kiss-and-ride facility
- A new Route 1 bridge at Marumsco Creek
- Improvements to Occoquan Road, including a median and turn lanes from Route 1 to south of Horner Road
- Additional through and turn lanes on Route 1 and Occoquan Road to improve traffic operations
- A ten-foot shared-use path and six-foot sidewalk
- Demolition of several vacant buildings along the corridor
Route 1 currently carries about 35,000 vehicles per day.
Projected volumes for 2036 are 75,000 vehicles per day.
Drivers can expect daytime and nighttime lane closures on Route 1.
Lane closures are required for paving, as well as to install water main, sewer, and drainage facilities.
Bridge construction over Marumsco Creek, retaining wall work near Occoquan Road and excavation and grading work for Occoquan Road and southbound Route 1 are ongoing.
The new connector road (across from McCormick Paints) at the northern end of Easy Street is open to traffic; the connector road that fed into the CVS parking lot is permanently closed.
Daytime lane closures can be expected Mondays through Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Fridays, 9:30 a.m. to noon.
Nighttime lane closures, when necessary, will be from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday to Friday, 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. Friday to Saturday, 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday to Sunday and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday to Monday.
Motorists should expect delays and are advised to use alternate routes.
Total Estimated Cost
Preliminary engineering: $13.9 million
Right of way: $85.4 million
Utilities: Up to $12.1 million (Ductbank design and construction)
Widening: $56.4 million
Total: $167.8 million
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting for utilities ductbank (March 9, 2015)
Public Hearing (March 2011)
- Construction plans for Phase 1 (6 MB)
- Interchange phase 2 design alternatives
- Alternative A - Dawson Beach Road full access at Route 1
- Alternative B - Dawson Beach Road partial access at Route 1 (preferred) (6 MB)
- Typical section renderings
- Brochure and summary of comments
Prince William County board resolution for undergrounding utilities (Dec. 2013)
UPCs: 14693, 105798, 94102, 100938
State Projects: 0123-076-F29, 0001-076-171, 0123-076-004, 0123-076-080
Federal Project: STP-111-1(114)