I-395 Express Lanes Extension
|Turkeycock Run Interchange to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington County|
Project at a Glance
Construction: Aug. 2017
Est Completion Date
Open to traffic: Fall 2019
Lengths and Limits
Turkeycock Run Interchange to the vicinity of Eads Street
Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax
About the Project
This project is extending the 395 Express Lanes for eight miles north from Turkeycock Run near Edsall Road to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington.
The two existing HOV lanes (or High Occupancy Toll) lanes are being converted to express lanes and a third lane is being added, providing three reversible express lanes.
The improvements primarily are being built within the existing footprint of the I-395 HOV lanes.
In November 2015, the Commonwealth signed a Framework Agreement, establishing that the 395 Express Lanes extension be done by Transurban under the current 95 Express Lanes Comprehensive Agreement with VDOT.
There will be a dedicated annual payment by Transurban for transit services and multimodal strategies identified in a study led by Virginia’s Department of Rail and Public Transportation.
Vehicles with three or more people can use the express lanes for free, while vehicles with fewer than three people can choose to pay a variable toll and use the express lanes.
Construction began in Aug. 2017, with the new extended lanes opening in fall 2019 and the entire project set for completion in summer 2020.
- Extending express lanes to the vicinity of Eads Street
- Providing new travel options for single-occupant drivers
- Installing an active traffic management system to keep traffic moving
- Providing sound walls for nearby neighborhoods
- Improving connections between the I-395 Express Lanes and Eads Street
- Providing dedicated annual funding for transit
Prepare Environmental Document: 2016
Multimodal Study: 2016
Public Information Meetings: Spring 2016
Public Hearings: Fall 2016
Begin Construction: Aug. 2017
Open to Traffic: Fall 2019
Estimated project completion: Summer 2020
Design Public Hearings were held October 24, October 26 and November 30, 2016.
Final Environmental Documents
Environmental Assessment (Sept. 2016)
- Air Quality Analysis Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Alternatives Analysis Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Cultural Resources Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Hazardous Materials Technical Memorandum (Sept. 2016)
- Indirect & Cumulative Effects Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Natural Resources Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Right of Way Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Socioeconomics & Land Use Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Traffic & Transportation Technical Report: 1 2 3 4 5 6 (Sept. 2016)
- Noise Analysis Technical Report: 1 2 3 4 (Aug. 2016)
Interchange Modification Report (May 2017)
VDOT Meetings with HOAs (Nov. 2016)
I-95/I-395 Transit/TDM Plan Study Overview (Sept. 2016)
Presentation to Fairlington Citizens Association (Sept. 2016)
Presentation from Elected Officials and Media Briefing (March 2016)
Express Lanes Corridor Map
Project Brochure (Jan. 2016)
Noise Report (June 2013)
Noise Report (Jan. 2013)
Fundamentals of Traffic Noise Presentation (2013)
Design Public Hearings Display Boards and Comment Sheet (Sept. 2011)