Project at a Glance
This would be the one of the last stages of the Navy Triangle Improvement Strategy. This purpose behind this strategy is to construct a new four-lane tunnel and bridge system between the I-564 Intermodal Connector in Norfolk and the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel. It would also include a connection to Craney Island in Portsmouth.
The draft environmental re-evaluation document is complete. In early February 2013, a revised Environmental Assessment (EA) was submitted to FHWA. A NEPA document will not be issued by FHWA until the fiscal constraints on this project have been resolved. The project has yet to be funded within the Constrained Long Range Plan.
Navy Triangle Improvements
- Fleet Recreational Park was a replacement recreational facility for the Norfolk Naval Base that allowed VDOT to use the previous site for the widening of Hampton Boulevard and the construction of the I-564 Intermodal Connector.
- Hampton Boulevard will create a grade separation thus eliminating the need to interrupt vehicular traffic for railway movement in to and out of the port terminals.
- The Intermodal Connector will realign I-564 to Hampton Boulevard with improved access into Naval Station Norfolk and Norfolk International Terminals.
- Patriot's Crossing will create a connection from I-564 to I-664 which will travel under the Elizabeth River.
- Terminal Boulevard-Funds Pending
Draft Documents in PDF
- Air Quality Analysis Technical Report (4.6 MB)
- Environmental Assessment (12 MB)
- Traffic Technical Memo (968 KB)
- Noise Analysis Technical Report (5 MB)
Recent Press about the Project
The Virginian-Pilot, January 2011
Materials from Public Hearing
Presentation boards (Zip, 77 MB)